- Continue Reading
How Can You Tell If You Have Termites?
If you look at their tiny white bodies, you would never be able to guess what a menace they can be. We’re talking about termites. These wood-feeding insects cause damages worth $5 billion in America every year. Termites can also be quite sneaky because most people don’t even notice the signs of termites infestation till quite a substantial amount of damage is already done. Here we’ll show you how to tell if you have termites.
While dry wood termites feed on wood that is dry, the subterranean termites live underground and can cause a lot of damage. At Control Exterminating we specialize in dealing with all kinds of termite infestation in NYC. The first step to controlling a termite infestation is to be able to identify the signs of termites infestation early.
“Termites are known to cause extensive damage to wooden floors without showing any signs on the surface. They can completely hollow out wood and make it weak.”
Here are 9 signs on how to tell if you have Termites:
1. Termite shelter tubes: These structures are clay like and are brown in color. These tubes protect termites from predators and also provide them with the dark and humid environment to store their food. These tubes are between 10 mm to 50 mm in width. We must look out for these tubes as they are a tell-tale sign of termites.
2. Subterranean tunnels: The subterranean termites make subterranean tunnels where they store their food. These tunnels can be almost 20 meters deep in the earth.
3. Blowholes in trees: Both the species make blowholes in trees. The subterranean termites make the more visible holes. When the alates(winged termites) want to come out of the trunk to form a new colony, they cut longitudinal slits in the tree trunk. After the exit is complete, the worker termites seal this hole.
“Termites can also be quite sneaky because most people don’t even notice the signs of termites infestation till quite a substantial amount of damage is already done.”
4. Termite droppings: If you find termite feces(also known as frass) in your home, it is a sure sign of infestation. These look like tiny wood colored pellets.
5. Earthen packing: This is a mud-like substance produced by termites working on wood. It can mostly be seen near foundation walls and joints. Both the species of termites can cause damage to foundations.
6. Termite noise: Termites often hollow out wood, leaving only a thin upper layer intact. In places of heavy infestation, an audible tapping noise can be heard. This sound comes when the soldier termites tap their mandibles and heads on wood to signal the rest of the colony.
7. Termite wings: If you see termite with wings around your home, you definitely have an infestation in your home. While subterranean termites swarm during the spring season, this is not the case with dry wood termites. Call a termite control NYC service provider if you see a swarm or discarded wings in your home.
8. Sagging floors: Termites are known to cause extensive damage to wooden floors without showing any signs on the surface. They can completely hollow out wood and make it weak. Squeaky floors or floors that are sagging can also be signs of infestation. If you suspect an infestation, tap on the floor. If you notice a hollow sound, contact Control Exterminating without wasting any more time.
9. Tree Nests: Some termites also make their nests inside tree trunks or in the hollow area of the roots. Initially, these nests are not detectable, but after some time you will notice a large pile of mud near the root of the tree.
Can You Tell If You Have Termites? Call an Exterminator.
If you can tell you have termites, you’ll want to call a professional exterminator before the problem gets worse. You can try to tackle the problem on your own, but the longer you wait, the more serious it will become. If you’re located in NYC, Control Exterminating has the answers to eliminating the termites in your house.
Our team of professional NYC exterminators can deal with any infestation swiftly and efficiently. Our pest control NYC professionals have been providing pest control services in Manhattan for years.